There’s been a lot of debate about what the Democrats should do in order to become more successful at winning elections. While there are many strategic moves we can make to improve our team’s chances of victory, there’s an imperative paradigm change that must infuse the way that we articulate our message; we must translate the politics of “we” into the politics of “me”. What does this mean? First, let’s say what it doesn’t mean; it doesn’t mean that the party should turn its back on communitarian ideals, progressivity, and concern for others. It means explaining to voters - clearly and effectively – why our policies (to the extent we can agree on them) make sense to them personally. This won’t apply to every policy, but we need to do a better job of appealing to self-interest of the enlightened variety. The Republicans have been great at telling voters how they’ll be personally served by conservative rule and it’s one of a number of reasons they’ve been able to knock us around so much lately.
Saturday, September 10, 2005
- A Smoke Filled Room
- Above Average Jane
- Akkam's Razor
- All for the Taking
- Boundless Philadelphia
- East Falls Development Corporation
- Greater Philadelphia Sustainable Business Network
- Kiko's House
- Mere Cat
- Our Green Cities
- Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society
- Philadelphia Bicycle News
- Philadelphia is My Home
- Philly Future
- Pound for Pound
- The Next American City
- The Tattered Coat
- Young Philly Politics
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (196)
- Philadelphia Food Distribution Center will Relocat...
- Philadelphia’s World Renowned Mural Arts Program G...
- Philadelphia: America's Next Great City
- Real Estate Tax Abatement: It Worked
- New FLP Website
- Relocation vs. Rebuilding?
- Ford to Dramatically Increase Hybrid Production
- Masterman: #1 Public High School in the Region
- Nutter and DiCicco: Politicians of the Year
- Where do all the Yuppies Meet, South Street, South...
- A Demonstration Wetland Takes Shape in East Falls
- Translating the Politics of “We” into the Politics...
- LaSalle Contributes to North Philadelphia’s Econom...
- More Pro-Hybrid Legislation in PA
- Plug it In, Plug it In
- ▼ September (15)