Pennsylvania has nearly 2,600 local governments and a few thousand quasi-governmental units. Sixty percent of local governments in PA have populations under 2,500. This excessive fragmentation thwarts local governments’ ability to effectively and efficiently deliver services. The answer? While easier said than done, municipal consolidations/mergers must be encouraged and small, non-viable units should be discouraged, possibly through withholding of state funding. See Terry Madonna's op-ed in the Philadelphia Inquirer for more background.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
- A Smoke Filled Room
- Above Average Jane
- Akkam's Razor
- All for the Taking
- Boundless Philadelphia
- East Falls Development Corporation
- Greater Philadelphia Sustainable Business Network
- Kiko's House
- Mere Cat
- Our Green Cities
- Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society
- Philadelphia Bicycle News
- Philadelphia is My Home
- Philly Future
- Pound for Pound
- The Next American City
- The Tattered Coat
- Young Philly Politics
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (196)
- Economic Development in North Philadelphia
- They'd Rather Fly From Philly
- Philadelphia Airport Gets an "A"
- Most Sportsmanlike: Philadelphia School District A...
- Don't be Sad, the House of Blues Found a Home in C...
- Biomass Exporter Opens Philadelphia Port Facility
- Planning Commission Executive Director to Step Dow...
- No Retreat, No Surrender
- $100 Million Mixed-Used Project Slated for Univers...
- University City: A Neighborhood Ascends
- College Students Love Pennsylvania
- Condo-mania in Philadelphia
- A Vision for Enhanced Rail Transit in Philadelphia...
- Philadelphia's Aspiring Class
- Another Philadelphia Hidden Treasure: Settlement M...
- Philadelphia School District: Pursuing Excellence
- Another Center City Office Tower Planned
- Symphony House Sales Hit a High Note
- PA Democrats - Growin' Up
- Philadelphia Chamber Supports Smoking Ban
- Philadelphia Phlash Returns for the Season
- Temple Womens Basketball: Best in the Region
- Former Green Party Candidate for Governor to Try O...
- Innovative Blogger Networking Site: Bloggers Marke...
- Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighbor...
- Excessive Fragmentation: PA has Too Many Local Gov...
- ▼ March (26)