Federal Judge Edward R. Becker climbed to within a step of the U.S. Supreme Court but never lost his touch for the regular guy. Becker, senior judge of the 3rd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, died after a three-year battle with cancer. He was 73 and lived with his wife, Flora, on Herbert Street in Frankford in the house where he lived as a child. He rode the Frankford El to work every day. "He probably just rode the El to heaven," said Third Circuit Judge Marjorie O. (Midge) Rendell. Becker was born in Philadelphia in 1933, graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Pennsylvania in 1954 and three years later from Yale Law School. Senator Specter called him "one of the greatest Philadelphians in our city's history."
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
- A Smoke Filled Room
- Above Average Jane
- Akkam's Razor
- All for the Taking
- Boundless Philadelphia
- East Falls Development Corporation
- Greater Philadelphia Sustainable Business Network
- Kiko's House
- Mere Cat
- Our Green Cities
- Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society
- Philadelphia Bicycle News
- Philadelphia is My Home
- Philly Future
- Pound for Pound
- The Next American City
- The Tattered Coat
- Young Philly Politics
- ► 2007 (110)
- Pennsylvania's Job Count Reaches New Record
- Friday Agricultural Factoid
- Rendell and Pennsylvania Grow Greener
- John Dougherty: He Said, He Said
- Pennsylvania's Official Bumper Sticker Contest Und...
- The Wild, Wild East
- Judge Edward Becker Passes
- Environmental Issues are a Top Concern for Philade...
- Make Tax Competitiveness a Priority
- Tax Collection in Pennsylvania
- Vote for Ethics in Tomorrow's Election!
- IssuesPA/Pew Poll Shows Pennsylvanians Dissatisfie...
- Friday Agriculture Factoid: Two for the Price of O...
- Not so Much Turnover in the PA Leg
- Rendell Leads Swann in Latest Poll
- Voters Split on East Falls And River Slot Parlor S...
- May is Beef and Egg Month in Pennsylvania
- Friday Agriculture Factoid
- PhillyCarShare and City of Philadelphia Named Fina...
- The Autobiography Project
- Philadelphia International Airport Shows Strong Gr...
- ▼ May (21)
- ► 2005 (219)