RecycleBank has brought a groundbreaking recycling concept to neighborhoods in Philadelphia's “Fabulous Northwest” (see story). RecycleBank provides the City of Philadelphia with bar code technology that tracks a household’s recycling volume; households subsequently earn points that can be redeemed for coupons at local businesses. Cities and towns around the nation are looking to Philadelphia as the laboratory for this novel approach to incentivizing household recycling. Patrick Fitzgerald – one of RecycleBank’s founders – reports that the recycling rate in Chestnut Hill neighborhoods served by RecycleBank has increased from 15.5% to 50% percent since the program began in January. Initially, 600 households were involved; the program has since doubled. RecycleBank was launched by social entrepreneurs Fitzgerald (who is from Jenkintown) and Philadelphia native Ron Gonen, who conjured up the business model while graduate students.
Tuesday, May 03, 2005
- A Smoke Filled Room
- Above Average Jane
- Akkam's Razor
- All for the Taking
- Boundless Philadelphia
- East Falls Development Corporation
- Greater Philadelphia Sustainable Business Network
- Kiko's House
- Mere Cat
- Our Green Cities
- Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society
- Philadelphia Bicycle News
- Philadelphia is My Home
- Philly Future
- Pound for Pound
- The Next American City
- The Tattered Coat
- Young Philly Politics
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (196)
- Philadelphians Mistrust Local Government According...
- Convention Center Expansion: Funding is on the Way...
- Montco to Develop Global Warming Strategy
- Councilman Nutter, Smokin' (actually, not smokin')...
- Cira Centre: 90% Leased
- Breaking Wind?
- I See Dead People (voting, that is)
- Zoning Bills: First Steps Toward Reform?
- High School Students from West Philadelphia Build ...
- Mayor Steps Down
- Philadelphia Film Festival Set Record
- Corruption Trial Verdicts Troubling You? Let's St...
- Cira Center is Filling Up
- Philadelphia Construction Boom: Unprecedented
- RecycleBank a “Raging Success” - Increases Residen...
- ▼ May (15)