Paul Newman (the salad dressing guy and actor) and representatives from “Champ Car World Series” are scheduled to meet with senior City officials this afternoon to discuss holding an Indianapolis Speedway-style race on Philadelphia streets. Champ Car draws international media coverage and an average of 150,000 fans per event and could generate $25 million to $50 million in revenue, including 10,000 room nights at local hotels (see story). Watching a bunch of cars rip around Philadelphia streets; can’t we already do that during rush hour? But seriously, if it’s good for the Philadelphia economy, America’s Hometown is for it (and would probably go down to watch it).
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
- A Smoke Filled Room
- Above Average Jane
- Akkam's Razor
- All for the Taking
- Boundless Philadelphia
- East Falls Development Corporation
- Greater Philadelphia Sustainable Business Network
- Kiko's House
- Mere Cat
- Our Green Cities
- Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society
- Philadelphia Bicycle News
- Philadelphia is My Home
- Philly Future
- Pound for Pound
- The Next American City
- The Tattered Coat
- Young Philly Politics
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (196)
- Alternative Fuel Industry Expands
- John Dougherty's Union (Local 98) Accussed of Hara...
- Take the Money and Run?
- Another Random Philadelphia Treasure You’ve Probab...
- Philadelphia International Airport: Ecomonic Power...
- Record Year for Passengers and Cargo at PHL
- "It's Costly Being Poor": An Article from the Econ...
- Center City Hotels: Still Strong
- Bio Conference a Success
- Cough, Cough - Got a Minute to take a Poll about S...
- Germantown Deserves Better
- Philadelphia's “Brooklynization”
- Better Models for Development in Pennsylvania
- Why Can't (or Won't) American Car Makers Do This?
- Rankings, Shmankings
- Philadelphia County: We're #23!!
- Councilman Mariano: Don’t Read this, It’ll Bum You...
- Indy Racing in Philadelphia?
- Ritz-Carlton Hotel to get a 44-Story Neighbor
- Philadelphia Housing Market Not Risky?
- Greenhouse Gas Reductions and Economic Vitality
- ▼ August (22)